In this episode, we pick up anchor at the easternmost island of Tonga and set sail for a more protected anchorage before the high winds arrive. Along the way, the boatyard confirms a haulout date for the following day, so we head straight to their moorings. The next morning, we attempt our first haulout using a trailer system, but challenging conditions and a trailer issue force us back to the mooring for another night. When we return the next day, the conditions are even worse, and our first experience with this type of haulout system in Tonga is more nerve-wracking than expected. Will we finally make it out of the water? Watch to find out!
NEW TO OUR CHANNEL? We are Eileen and Brown Councill. Welcome to our channel and a glimpse into our life adventure! 2020 was a year of uncertainty and change (for all of us, right?), but we overcame the challenges and decided it was time to chase our dream, to sail around the world! Did I mention that we had very NO sailing experience? Before leaving Qingdao, China, our home of 4 years, we sold almost all of our earthly possessions and started our international search to find the right sailboat that we would call "home." After 5 months of unanticipated twists and turns, we found what we were looking for, a used Leopard 44' Catamaran located in St. Lucia.
So, here begins our journey, filled with unmatched excitement and honestly, a bit of trepidation as well. We have much to learn as we travel the world on our floating home and we intend to document that journey and share it with you. We are so glad you have decided to join us, and we hope that you will find our story so compelling that it will inspire you to chase your dreams too!
As a viewer, we consider you to be part of our family and look forward to getting to know you. Don't hesitate to comment on our videos and ask questions. We will do our best to answer every correspondence! All we ask is that you have patience with us as we work really hard to improve our camera/video techniques and ability to tell a story. Hopefully, you will be as BLOWN AWAY from watching, as we are in experiencing and producing our adventures!
HOW CAN YOU SUPPORT US? If you wish to support our video efforts, all we ask is that you SUBSCRIBE, give a THUMBS UP, SHARE our videos with your friends, AND COMMENT! WOULD YOU LIKE TO GET TO KNOW US MORE DEEPLY? It would be an honor and pleasure to deepen our relationship with you as a Patron. Please click on the following link to see how: https://www.patreon.com/sailingblownaway
The crew sails from eastern Tonga to a boatyard in Vava'u to haul out their vessel before a severe storm hits. After an initial failed attempt due to trailer configuration and worsening weather, they successfully haul the boat out of the water on the second try, allowing them to perform necessary repairs safely on land.
In this episode, we pick up anchor at the
easternmost island of Tonga and set sail
for a more protected anchorage before the high winds arrive.
Along the way, the boatyard confirms a haul-out date
for the following day, so we head straight
to their moorings.
The next morning, we attempt our first haul-out using a trailer system,
but challenging conditions
and a trailer issue force us back to the mooring for another night
when we return the next day the
conditions are even worse
and our first experience with this type of haul out system in Tonga
is more nerve-wracking than expected will we finally make it out
of the water watch to find
out pulling out here in a hurry we're
hoping we can get past Ian's boat
and get our anchor up we
think we can we need to get out of here
because there is a big storm coming in
so we need to get
to a place where we're gonna have good protection and not be
hammered so we're gonna take off today we're
not sure where we're going yet
we're kind of just still talking about
it doesn't matter there's a whole bunch
of places over closer to NAFU
and we're trying to get the haul-out yard to take
us tomorrow. If they can,
that would be amazing to get out of the water before the big storm hits
and have the time on land to get the boat fixed
while the winds are big. So we'll see what happens.
Not sure, but for now, I've got to get out of here first.
All right, give me a sec. I think we're up.
Not bad. Got out of there without an issue,
and now we're behind this huge cat going out too,
so that's good. Follow them out. We don't know.
Maybe Vaca. Maybe Port Morale. Maybe
haul out. You had such a good idea.
See you guys again soon. We really hate
leaving this place.
All of our friends, so beautiful, but the good news is on each
of our dives out in the ocean we saw leopard sharks
and today we had a great
encounter with one. I was practically
on top of it before it moved. I couldn't
believe how long it let us stay around it.
And we just got to see some beautiful life out there
just over the last three days
and the best coral that we've seen here in Tonga.
So really worth coming out
to this very, very far east location.
We're not gonna be coming back out this far again.
Once we haul out and get that done
and we get a weather window to the Hopi group,
we'll head down there.
So our time in the Vava'u group
is
coming
to an end
here
shortly.
Tonga is so pretty, so different than French Polynesia
and a lot of places that we've been.
So we made a final decision.
We're headed up to the Vava'u boat yard moorings
and we're headed up there
because we are hauling out in two days.
We asked them if there was any possibility to do that
so that when the big winds come,
we're not stuck just doing nothing
because when the big winds are here,
we're not gonna be able to take the dinghy out
and go explore because it will be far too difficult
to move around with 30, 35 knot winds.
So we would be stuck anyway.
And all of our friends are gonna go to Neiafu.
So we asked them if there was any possibility
of hauling out this week.
So two days from now they can haul us out.
It'll be our first trailer haul out.
And hopefully we'll get done
just as all of the bad weather is passing us.
This is a really, really strong system.
One that we would not wanna be out anywhere
other than a super protected anchorage.
So it's gonna work out great
because everyone else is gonna be stuck on their boats.
So we may as well be stuck on our boats
getting work done in the boat yards.
What a beautiful day.
It's so hard to believe that tomorrow at this time,
things are gonna be cracking in terms of the wind.
Things change around here rapidly.
It's so calm today, it's beautiful.
Wow, this
is amazing.
And there's Mr. Amazing.
Yes, Mr. Amazing!
Almost there,
just around the corner.
All right, our mooring is set.
All is well, as long as the mooring holds,
because if not, we're in a bit of a pickle
because that's gonna get shallow quickly.
This afternoon, we are getting hauled out,
and it's gonna be the first time
we have been hauled out by trailer,
so totally new experience,
and unfortunately, we've got a bit of wind today,
So it's gonna be a bit tricky is what they said,
a little bit of a challenge.
Not the words you wanna hear when you're hauling out
your boat and getting close to shore.
But the ramp for the trailer is just right over there.
We're gonna go take the dinghy over there
to take a look at what we're gonna be faced with
in a couple of hours so that we're prepared.
I've already got fenders out and our lines.
It's gonna be a tough one.
I hope Brown's up for the challenge.
The captain always is,
but this is not gonna be an easy one for us to get in.
He says he likes it a lot.
Me, not so much.
All right, doing the scouting trip.
All
right,
lovey.
It's coming from there.
What are you looking for up here?
Let's just tie up to the dock here.
Just a second, I wanna talk about this.
All right, it's a little bit of a rinky dinky dock
and the dock is moving.
Brown, did you see that?
The dock is also in motion, so.
It's anchored, it's got a connection.
Yeah, oh, I hate this stuff.
I absolutely hate this stuff.
I love it, it's so much fun, I'm so engaged.
All right, we've run through it, woo!
Let's hope it goes that way when we get on the big boat.
Well, changes are done, woo!
Almost ready to get over there.
Gotta have a pre-boat yard workout.
Yeah.
Captain did an amazing job getting the boat in.
I had the best gadgets from the Admiral
and that's what it's all about.
Teamwork.
It was perfect.
You did a great job.
Thank you.
So the guys climbed under the boat after we came in
and they didn't like the configuration of the trailer.
So they've gone up to change out the trailer pads
and put in a new system.
So far, very thankful that they are on top of it
and taking care of things.
Yeah, being very careful.
That's good.
It's our baby. Am I the baby or is that the baby?
You compete.
Ah, new pad arrangement. Hopefully that'll be better.
They maneuvered the boat in a way
that they're really happy with where
it's sitting now and tightened it up.
And so now they're just raising their pads
which sit on the bottom of the boat.
It's a bit of a challenging day for sure,
but it's been about 40 minutes already.
already configuration is not right
for our boat and they can't do it today
so it's gonna be
tomorrow we've got to go back out to the mooring ball
for tonight i just want to cry and that is
such bad news i can't believe it you got
to do it again tomorrow oh man
we're about three hours out
from go time and the wind is howling we're getting
some 30 knot wind gusts and we're kind of blowing
all over the place and this is going to present
a pretty sizable challenge to brown especially
at the helm see the gusts coming across the water
oh i guess if alan thinks it's okay to go we'll go
yesterday was very easy today easy this is yeah yeah it's
a big big difference i am sure alan
will not do this unless he is absolutely confident
that we can get on the dock without a problem
because that would just be really bad for him
and his team is really good and conservative and
they've been great so far so he is also coming
on the boat with us on the other hand he's going to
want us on there because if not he's got all
these boats scheduled out it's going to throw him off so
yeah it's his judgment is going to be somewhat clouded
with wanting to keep the business going
and everything so yeah well not maybe he's
not going to take the chance anyway it remains to
be seen oh and yes it is cold i have a wool hat
on because it is arctic temperatures coming from
the south from new zealand
and it is chilly that was a good one god it's so wonky in here you know
yeah it's swirling boy the windage on this thing
at 19. yeah it's a lot well when he gets on board
we'll talk through what it is we need to do and how it's going to work
and you know he's an expert
at this and so that's good i wish i had bigger gaps
in between i know that's why i get paid the
big bucks that's right baby we have confirmation we
are go in less than an hour the good news is
alan the owner of the boatyard is coming on board to calm my nerves
and maybe calm Brown too i
don't know he's a little more agitated today than uh yesterday he
was totally fine yesterday was
so calm compared to today well with alan
on board i feel like we've got the right instruction and
he'll help us get in and help us throw lines
to make sure we get two connected once we get
two connected we're fine everybody takes their home
in floating on high winds to get repaired
right right isn't
that what
happens all
the time 10 minutes
to go time and it's
squalls oh yeah
let's add a few more complications. Perfect.
Well, that squall brought a lot of calm. I'm
hoping we could ride the coattails
of the calm before the big winds pick up again. That
would be really nice. We're waiting for Alan to come on board.
If it stays like this, we'll
be so thankful. It's still going to be a challenge,
but certainly not what it was like about an
hour ago. Engines are on. It's go time.
How are you doing, Cyril? Good. Great. Thank you.
There
you
go.
These guys are champs.
Instead
of
pushing
up like
this,
inside, they're putting it up underneath.
Right after that squall thing did it.
Yeah, that squall made a huge difference.
That was like a transition from really high winds,
chaotic winds, to predictable.
So good.
And doable.
From
yesterday.
This is the basin that he's going to have to come up
with the boat on this ramp all the way up here.
And I'm not sure where they're going to place this yet.
not even
at the top of
the hill it's
taken about
an hour and
a half to get
the trailer under the boat they really struggled I think
because of the windage
is what they were saying anyway she's up she's out
of the water I think they're
all relieved but very
gonna power wash it
and then they're
gonna block us
and put us on the hard
so we've probably got another hour and a half before we
are on our stands and then the work begins.
Things
that we
need to
do here,
we can
pull the
trailer out is
to get it
blocked
and
blocking
is
really
important because this is going to hold the full weight of the boat.
So they have to evenly
distribute on the keel
but they cannot put pressure on the last part of the keel. That
part is not supposed to have any kind of blocking on it.
I didn't know that. Which part of the keel?
the last 25-30 inches. Oh wow.
Oh it's not that heavy. We're here
because they don't need to use
it with anyone else but us
so we get to keep the beam.
515 we started at 130 right? Yeah.
Incredible. Huge amount of work.
Beautiful. Beautiful.
You guys have some rake up there?
Yeah we'll put it there. Oh the joys of living on the hard here we go.
New front yard look
at that.
Let the footwork begin.