NEW YORK (NEWSnet/AP) — Donald Trump said Sunday he has decided against testifying for a second time at his New York civil fraud trial.
On social media, he posted that he “VERY SUCCESSFULLY & CONCLUSIVELY” testified last month and sees no need to appear again.
Trump had been expected to return to the witness stand Monday as the last big defense witness in the trial in New York Attorney General Letitia James' lawsuit. The case threatens Trump’s real estate empire and cuts to the heart of his image as a successful businessman.
Trump announced he was canceling his testimony in an all-capital letters, multipart statement on his Truth Social platform, writing: “I WILL NOT BE TESTIFYING ON MONDAY.”
“I HAVE ALREADY TESTIFIED TO EVERYTHING & HAVE NOTHING MORE TO SAY," Trump wrote, adding his oft-repeated claim that James and other Democrats have weaponized the legal system to hinder his chances at retaking the White House.
Trump was often defiant and combative when he testified on Nov. 6, answering questions for state lawyers for more than three hours. He sparred with judge Arthur Engoron, whom he criticized as an “extremely hostile judge," and slammed James as “a political hack.”
In recent days, Trump has been insistent the would testify again, one of his lawyers said.
The lawyer, Alina Habba, said she had discouraged Trump from taking the stand because of a gag order that is in place. The same gag order was also in effect when he testified in November.Copyright 2023 NEWSnet and The Associated Press. All rights reserved.